Article 65. The President of the State is the Head of State of the Lao People's Democratic Republic and the representative of the multi-ethnic Lao people both within the country and abroad.
Article 66. (New) The President of the State is elected by the National Assembly with two-thirds of the votes of all members of the National Assembly attending the session.
The term of office of the President of the State is the same as the term of office of the National Assembly.
Article 67. (New) The President of the State has the following rights and duties:
1. To promulgate the Constitution and laws already adopted by the National Assembly;
2. To issue presidential edicts and decrees;
3. To propose the appointment or removal of the Prime Minister to the National Assembly for consideration and decision;
4. To appoint or remove the Prime Minister, [and to] appoint, transfer or remove members of the government after approval by the National Assembly;
5. To appoint or remove the Vice-President of the People's Supreme Court based on the recommendation of the President of the People's Supreme Court, [and to] appoint or remove the Deputy Supreme Public Prosecutor based on the recommendation of the Supreme Public Prosecutor;
6. To appoint, transfer or remove provincial and city governors based on the recommendation of the Prime Minister;
7. To be the head of the people's armed forces;
8. To decide on promotions or demotions at the rank of general in the national defence and security forces based on the recommendation of the Prime Minister;
9. To convene and preside at the government?s special meetings;
10. To decide on conferring national gold medals, orders of merit, medals of victory and the highest honorific titles of the State;
11. To decide on granting amnesty;
12. To decide on general or partial military conscription and to declare states of emergency all over the country or in any particular locality;
13. To issue the ratification of or [secession from] treaties and agreements signed with foreign countries;
14. To appoint and recall plenipotentiary representatives of the Lao People's Democratic Republic to or from foreign countries based on the recommendation of the Prime Minister, and to accept the plenipotentiary representatives of foreign countries accredited to the Lao People's Democratic Republic; [and]
15. To exercise such other rights and perform such other duties as provided by the laws.
Article 68. (New) The President of the State may have a Vice-President as elected by the National Assembly with the votes of more than one-half of the number of National Assembly members attending the session.
The Vice-President of the State executes all tasks assigned to him by the President of the State and acts on behalf of the President of the State if he is [occupied on other matters].
 The reader should note that the Lao language does not distinguish between genders in pronouns. In this translation, a reference to a gender is a reference to all genders, unless the context requires otherwise. The translators? decision to use the male gender was made in the interests of simplicity and consistency.
|< Prev||Next >|